- How would you describe the sense of place in The Miniaturist, and how does the novel present seventeenth century Amsterdam?
- What does the gift of the cabinet house symbolise to Nella in terms of her marriage to Johannes and her own status?
- The Brandt household is full of secrets. Which made the biggest impression on you and why?
- Did your attitude to the characters remain consistent throughout the novel, or did your loyalties shift as you kept reading? Which character provoked the strongest reaction from you?
- How would you describe Nella’s relationship with Marin? In what ways do they conflict, and are they more alike than they think?
- What do you think was the most significant cause of the Brandt’s downfall?
- Do you think the miniaturist is a magical force or a human one? What is the most important thing that Nella learns from her?
- To what extent do you think Nella was in control of her own fate, or was she at the mercy of those around her?
- How did seventeenth century Dutch society view women, and how different is life for women today?
- If you were Nella and had to take up her role at the end of the book, what would you do next?